How satisfied are you with your current work? If you are like most Americans these days, you have probably entertained the thought of making a change in your career or business. According to the 2016 Job Satisfaction Survey conducted by the non-profit research firm the Conference Board, over 50% of American workers are dissatisfied in their career.
If you’re in that dissatisfied majority, you might be wondering “where do I start and what can I do to set myself up for a successful change?”
The key to success is mastering your mindset.
It is about aligning your belief systems (most of which are outside of your conscious awareness) with what you want to change or create in your life.
I know this to be true from my research on neuro-plasticity and my work as an Executive Coach, Master Practitioner of Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP), and Board-Certified Hypnotherapist.
Most people believe that knowing the perfect career or business strategy- like how to land clients or quickly transition into a new career- is enough. Although knowing how to do all the tactical work is important, it actually accounts for only 20% of your success. The other whopping 80% is your choice of mindset.
“Your presence in the world- how you hold yourself, what you give of yourself, and how you receive all that surrounds you- creates the circle of belief that shapes everything in your life.”
– Deepak Chopra
Your mindset has the power to sabotage your intentions or pull you to the finish line. When you connect with your most positive life-supporting beliefs, you feel deserving, confident, creative, and unstoppable. When you’re living through limiting beliefs, you may feel unworthy, incapable, stuck, or depleted. You are not able to see new possibilities.
Can You shift Your Mindset?
Absolutely! The latest in neuroscience research proves that our belief systems are not fixed. You have the power to change your own mind!
How can you choose positive beliefs that support you? Let’s start by exploring two types of core beliefs that shape our reality.
Belief #1: How You See Yourself
The impact of empowering beliefs is tremendous. According to Dr. Carol Dweck, author of Mindset: The New Psychology of Success, believing in your capacity to change and grow (known as a “growth mindset”) is the greatest determinant of your success. This belief drives you to take positive actions- such as stretching outside your comfort zone, asking for feedback, and being persistent and resilient during times of change- which will lead to even greater progress and growth.
“Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit. “
– E. E. Cummings
On the other hand, disempowering beliefs can limit your potential and can keep you hostage to your current reality. For example, believing that your intelligence and abilities were essentially carved in stone at birth and that you’re not capable of changing much (known as a “fixed mindset”) can hold you back. A fixed mindset can trap you in a cycle of proving and reproving what you already know you’re capable of, rather than stretching to new places.
Think about it- if you don’t believe that you could do something or achieve a goal, would you bother to make the effort to change?
What do you believe to be true about yourself? Are you capable of the change you want to see in your life? Are you deserving of it?
Belief #2: How You See the World
Albert Einstein once said, “The most important decision we make is whether we believe we live in a friendly or hostile universe.” What do you believe about the world you live in?
Do you believe that your honest and best efforts will be met with benevolence or hostility? How does that belief impact your choices and chances?
Many of our beliefs are so deeply held that we tend to be blind to them. The first step is to gain self-awareness about what you believe so that you can make better choices. Mastering your understanding can help you break free from the limitations of any negative or hidden beliefs by bringing them to the forefront.
Examine your inner dialog and reflect on your own core beliefs. Consider how they filter your perception of who you are, what you are capable of, what you are deserving of, and how the world treats you. How will holding on to these beliefs support or sabotage you? What beliefs, if any, would you like to shift to set yourself up for success in your career and life?
Your Beliefs Become Your Reality. Choose wisely.
Thank you for reading this article. I’d love to hear your thoughts. If you have anything that you want to share, feel free to comment below!
Vered Kogan is an Executive Coach and Career Strategist based in Scottsdale, AZ. She loves supporting clients in identifying and connecting with empowering beliefs so they will have a fulfilling career and life. Visit www.VeredKogan.com for more information about her coaching services and motivational speaking.